Now that my oven is working again, I’m pretty excited about using it to make meals once again. After talking to my boyfriend and one of his friends, I decided that I needed to make some tater tot casserole. I’d only made this dish one other time and that was during fall semester. I liked the way it turned out that time, but I struggled to find a recipe that I wanted to use because there were so many different versions on Pinterest. I followed a recipe pretty close the first time and used frozen green beans as my vegetable.
This time, I decided I would kind of make up the recipe as I went along. My boyfriend’s mom uses peas in her casserole and I had also heard of people putting corn in it, so I decided to try both of those and I really liked the way it turned out!! I didn’t really use definite measurements on anything so I’ll just share my general directions and ingredients of this dish!
1 lb ground beef
1 32 oz bag frozen tater tots
1-2 cups of cheddar or co-jack cheese
1 can “cream of…” soup of your choice (I used mushroom, celery or chicken will work fine too)
1 heaping serving spoonful of sour cream
1 bag frozen peas (or green beans)
1 bag frozen corn
assorted spices (minced onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2) Lightly grease 13×9 inch pan
3) Brown hamburger in large skillet; drain
4) Remove from heat and add can of soup and sour cream
5) Add spices of your choice and stir
6) Stir in about 1/2 bag of corn (use your best judgement)
7) Spread meat mixture in bottom of pan
8) Layer peas over meat (feel free to use as much or as little as you like)
9) Sprinkle cheese over peas (don’t be shy–the cheesier, the better!)
10) Layer tater tots over the cheese (I have OCD and make sure my tots are perfectly in line, but it really doesn’t matter)
11) Bake for 25-30 minutes–until tots are golden and cheese is melty!
12) Dish up a large helping and enjoy! 🙂